Tuesday, May 09, 2006

The Musical of Doom & Other Stories

So last week I went and saw the musical Wicked with my roommate & her daughter. It was a decent night out. UNTIL this song:

Hands touch, eyes meet
Sudden silence, sudden heat
Hearts leap in a giddy whirl
He could be that boy
But I'm not that girl

Don't dream too far
Don't lose sight of who you are
Don't remember that rush of joy
He could be that boy
I'm not that girl

Ev'ry so often we long to steal
To the land of what-might-have-been
But that doesn't soften the ache we feel
When reality sets back in

Blithe smile, lithe limb
She who's winsome, she wins him
Gold hair with a gentle curl
That's the girl he chose
And Heaven knows
I'm not that girl

Don't wish, don't start
Wishing only wounds the heart
I wasn't born for the rose and the pearl
There's a girl I know
He loves her so
I'm not that girl...

As the female lead belted out this tune with every word easily heard over the orchestra I almost lost my shit. It was all I could do not to pick up my phone & call E and say listen to this shit. Cause this song is the story of every boy I have ever loved. E has had more than her fair share of boy drama as well so I knew she more than anyone could understand it as well.

When I got home the first thing I did was turn on the laptop and send E a warning email about what we now refer to as the musical of doom. Especially since she was going 2 days later with Carol. The next thing I did was decide I needed to start a blog to write about something other than my drunken exploits or shopping adventures. Based on the lyrics I thought "I'm not that girl" was an appropriate blog title. Cause really when push comes to shove, I'm not that girl; I'm just Mel.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home